Van Excellence Awards
‘Best of the Best’ recognised at FTA’s Van Excellence Awards.
14 of the UK’s finest van operators and drivers are celebrating after being recognised as the ‘best of the best’ at the FTA’s 2018 Van Excellence Honours, sponsored by Mercedes-Benz Vans.
The awards recognise and reward the van operators and drivers who have made a significant contribution to the van industry.
- Van Excellence Champion: Graham Davies – Electricity North West
- Helping the Community winner: Cadent Gas; highly commended: Reflex Vehicle Hire
- Keeping Your Show on the Road winner: James Hall Couriers; highly commended: McGinley Support Services
- Making a Difference winner: Scottish Water
- Putting Drivers First winner: Scottish Water; highly commended: McGinley Support Services
- Using Technology for Good winner: The Clancy Group; highly commended: McGinley Support Services
- Winning at Wellbeing winner: Amey
- Hero of the Year: John Barter – Ocado; highly commended: David Sturmey – Qi Van Systems, Peter Williams – James Hall Couriers.
John Barter helped to rescue casualties from four separate collisions, including pulling an injured driver out of her car after her petrol tank burst during a multi-vehicle crash on the motorway. He said: “It was a great privilege to be able to help these individuals when they needed it most. I love van driving and the fact that my first aid training and road experience means I can help people in need is a great satisfaction to me. I would like to thank the team at Ocado for their ongoing support, and I am so honoured my colleagues nominated me for this award.”
Mark Cartwright, Head of Vans & Light Commercial Vehicles at the Freight Transport Association, commented: “With more than 4.3 million vans on Britain’s roads, and the numbers increasing every year, it is important to recognise and reward the operators and drivers leading the way in excellence.”
“There is so much more to van operation than simply vehicle maintenance – community spirit, commitment to employee welfare and technological innovation are all integral parts of their roles.”
“All the winners, and highly commended entrants, place safety and compliance at the heart of their operations; they set a high standard for others to follow and can now take their place as the ‘best of best’ in the business.